lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <Richard.Bo...@gxs.com>
Subject Huge number of Term objects in memory gives OutOfMemory error
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:57:29 GMT
I'm running Lucene 2.3.1 with Java 1.5.0_14 on 64 bit linux.  We have fairly large collections
(~1gig collection files, ~1,000,000 documents).  When I try to load test our application with
50 users, all doing simple searches via a web interface, we quickly get an OutOfMemory exception.
 When I do a jmap dump of the heap, this is what I see:

Size    Count   Class description
195818576       4263822 char[]
190889608       13259   byte[]
172316640       4307916 java.lang.String
164813120       4120328 org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfo
131823104       4119472 org.apache.lucene.index.Term
37729184        604     org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfo[]
37729184        604     org.apache.lucene.index.Term[]

So 4 of the top 7 memory consumers are Term related.  We have 2 gig of RAM available on the
system but we get OOM errors no matter the java heap settings.  Has anyone seen this issue
and know how to solve it?

We do use separate MultiSearcher instances for each search.  (We actually have 2 collections
that we search via a MultiSearcher.) We tried using a singleton searcher instance but our
collections are constantly being updated and the singleton searcher only gives you results
since the searcher was opened.  Creating new searcher objects at search time gives you up
to the minute search results.

I've seen some postings referring to an Index Divisor setting which could reduce the Terms
in memory, but I have not seen how to set this value for Lucene.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich