lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Index Merging Space Requirements
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:48:39 GMT

Yes this should reduce transient (while merging) disk usage.
However, optimize disregards this parameter, so it will still use the
same disk space. However, if you call optimize(N) then that should
use less space since it does not merge all the way down to 1 segment.

Note that the limit applies to segments-to-be-merged not to the final
merged segment size.  Ie, any segment > maxMergeMB will never be
merged, but at any given time you can easily have segments quite a
bit larger than maxMergeMB.

Mike