lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dragon Fly <dragon-fly...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Lucene on a cluster environment
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:47:10 GMT
Hi Robert,

Did you run into any performance issues (because multiple searchers accessed a single index
on a shared directory)? Also, did you employ some redundancy scheme to ensure that the shared
directory is always "available"? Thank you.

> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Lucene on a cluster environment
> From: Robert.Hastings@ancept.com
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:16:29 -0500
>
> We went through this a couple of years ago.  I couldn't find the thread in
> the archive but the jist of it is as follows:
>
> 1.  We have a singleton thread that does all of the writing.  new
> Documents and deletions are queued to the writer via a database table.
> 2.  Since searchers are "point in time" you can user the same searcher in
> each cluster member ( this limits the amount of open files), but you need
> to refresh the searcher when the index changes.  We use a SearcherHolder
> and a single SearcherManager class to manage this.  Events are sent by the
> writer and received by the searcher holder when the index changes.
> 3.  Finally, older versions (1.4 and earlier) of Lucene had problems with
> having the index on a shared directory.  I think most of these issues have
> been resolved.
>
> Good Luck.
>

> "Vinicius Carvalho" <viniciusccarvalho@gmail.com>
> 03/19/2008 09:17 AM
> Please respond to
> java-user@lucene.apache.org

> java-user@lucene.apache.org
> cc
>
> Subject
> Lucene on a cluster environment
>

> Hello there! I have just started with lucene. Bought the Lucene in action
> book [right now I'm at chap 4, plus the 10th chapter, great explanation by
> Terence from jGuru, really nice stuff], also I'm reading most that I can
> at
> the wiki :)
> Still a bit lost with some stuff, mostly with clusters :)
> Our app is running in a cluster environment, now we are going to add
> search
> support for it, and lucene was the choice for it. Since I have many SLSB
> spread across the cluster, I would like to know some blueprints to use
> lucene in these situation.
>
> Our first idea, was to store the IndexWriter as an MBean inside Jboss and
> use it as an HA-Singleton, which would guarantee its uniqueness inside the
> cluster. I just would like to get some feedback from you guys on it :)
>
> Best regards
>
> --
> "In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?"

Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play chicktionary!
http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_wlhmtextlink1_feb