lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Itamar Syn-Hershko" <ita...@divrei-tora.com>
Subject Best way to do Query inflation?
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:09:50 GMT
Hi all,

I'm looking for the best way to inflate a query, so a query like: "synchronous AND colour"
-- will become something like this:

"(synchronous OR asynchronous OR bsynchornous OR synchronos OR asynchronos OR bsynchornos)
AND (colour OR acolour OR bcolour OR color OR acolor OR bcolor)".

I'm doing two-fold action - creating another instance of the word without a specific letter(s),
and then adding initial letters to all the resulting set of words. The resulting list of words
should be OR'ed and replace the original word from the original query (so "colour" becomes
"(colour OR acolour OR bcolour OR color OR acolor OR bcolor)"). This is for making Hebrew
queries return more precise results, don't try to find the logic in English :)

What I'm looking for is the proper way and place to make the actual query expanding process.
Keep in mind I will want to be able to access the complete list of words later so I could
use them to highligh results in the opened document. If I could access the terms object directly
somehow and replace each item with and OR'd object that would be ideal I think.

BTW, I have already established that I will have to write my own query parser derived from
QueryParserBase directly, and my own Lexer, since Hebrew has some unique stuff that sometimes
confuse Lucene's default. The tweaks I'm about to make should work for both Hebrew AND English,
so perhaps will become the standard way of doing things...

Thanks in advance for any help,

Itamar.