lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: explain() - fieldnorm
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:23:49 GMT

On Mar 25, 2008, at 12:10 PM, JensBurkhardt wrote:
> As you can see, both are exactly the same. The thing i don't
> understand is,
> that the two documents have different documentboosts (the first one
> got an
> boost of 1.62 , the second of 1.65) - the boosts are different
> because the
> two books got different publication years - but explain() tells me
> that my
> fieldNorm value is 1.5.

Document boosts do not have much granularity due to the limited number
of bits in the norm.  I seem to recall Yonik publishing a list of
values at one time on the mailing list, but I can't for the life of me
conjure the keywords to find it at the moment, as it was one a related
topic.  Perhaps his memory is better than mine...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message