lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Itamar Syn-Hershko" <ita...@divrei-tora.com>
Subject setPositionIncrement questions
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:00:08 GMT
Hi all,

Breaking proximity data has been discussed several times before, and concluded that setPositionIncrement
is the way to go. In regards of it:

1. Where should it be called exactly to create the gap properly?

2. Is there a way to call it directly somehow while indexing (e.g. after adding a new paragraph
to an existing field) instead of appending $$$ for example after the new string I'm indexing,
and having to update my tokenizer and filters so they will retain the $$$ chars, indicating
the gap request?

3. What is the recommended value to pass setPositionIncrement to create a reasonable gap,
and not risk large documents being indexed improperly (I mean, is there some sort of high-bound
for the position value?).

4. What are the consequences of setting PositionIncrement to 0? Does this mean I can index
synonyms or stems aside of the "real" words without risking data corruption?

Itamar.