lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: Document ID shuffling under 2.3.x (on merge?)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 01:26:51 GMT
On Wednesday 12 March 2008 09:53:58 Erick Erickson wrote:
> But to me, it always seems...er...fraught to even *think* about relying
> on doc ids. I know you've been around the block with Lucene, but do you
> have a compelling reason to use the doc ID and not your own unique ID?

From memory it was around a factor of 10 times slower to use a text field for
this; I haven't tested it recently and the case of retrieving the Document
should be slightly faster now that we have FieldSelector, but it certainly
won't be faster as to get the document you need the ID in the first place.

For single documents it wasn't a problem, the use cases are:
  1. Bulk database operations based on the matched documents.
  2. Creating a filter BitSet based on a database query.

Effectively this is required because Lucene offered no way to update a
Document after it was indexed; if it had that feature we would never have
needed a database. ;-)

Daniel