lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From thogau <tho...@thogau.net>
Subject Searching for null (empty) fields, how to use -field:[* TO *]
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:16:54 GMT

Hi,

I browsed the forum searching for a way to make a query that retrieves
document that do not have any value for a given field (say MY_FIELD_NAME).

I read several posts advising to use this syntax : -MY_FIELD_NAME:[* TO *]
However, I am not able to have it working...

I have 2 documents, the first one has a value for the field MY_FIELD_NAME
(In Luke, I can see the value) and the second one has no value for it (In
Luke, I can see &lt;not available&gt;)

I would expect the query MY_FIELD_NAME:[* TO *] to retrieve the document
which has a value for the field MY_FIELD_NAME but it doesn't (Nevertheless
MY_FIELD_NAME:[a* TO z*] retrieves it)

Also, I would expect the query -MY_FIELD_NAME:[* TO *] to retrieve the
document which has a NO value for the field MY_FIELD_NAME but it doesn't
either...

I guess I am missing something obvious but I am stuck... Anybody can help to
understand what I am doing wrong?