lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Will Johnson <willjohnsonsea...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Why indexing database is necessary? (RE: indexing database)
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:18:04 GMT
Don't forget the number 1 reason: speed.  For certain types of queries a
search engine can return results orders of magnitude faster than a database.
I've seen search engines return hits in hundreds of milliseconds when the
same database query took hours or even days.  That's not to say that a
search engine is always better, just the it often times is for when the
inputs and outputs are carefully defined.

- will

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Hartford [mailto:dhartford@ghsinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 1:52 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: Why indexing database is necessary? (RE: indexing database)

Indexing with lucene/nutch on top of/instead of DB indexing for:

1) relativity scoring
2) alias searching (i.e. a large amount of aliases, like first names)
3) highlighting
4) cross-datasource searching (multi DB, DB + XML files, etc).

As for best approach to externally index, I do not have any direct
pointers.  I would recommend looking at an ETL tool that can be extended
for this purpose (I've started writing a plugin for Pentaho, but got
pulled off and haven't finished it -- and that was for Solr, not
lucene/nutch).

-D