lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <>
Subject Re: Query in Lucene 2.3.0
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:57:59 GMT
On Feb 3, 2008 11:44 AM, ajay_garg <> wrote:
> Firstly, in the 2.3 optimizations, point 4 says ::
> " 4. LUCENE-959: Remove synchronization in Document (yonik)".
> Well, what does that mean, since it has already been assured that multiple
> adds, deletes, updates CAN be done by multiple threads on a single
> IndexWriter instance.

That was simply changing the list of fields in a single Document from
Vector to ArrayList (after all, who uses multiple threads to construct
a single document?)

> Secondly, this multiple-threads-doing-simultaneous-adds-deletes-modifies
> works for me in 2.3; moreover, the source code has also confirmed this ( in
> the file). However, does this hold true to prior 2.3
> versions also ( I see that you state that multiple threads using same
> instances has "always" been fine, but just want to confirm it once again, as
> to exactly from when on .. ).

Yes, it has always been fine to add multiple documents to a single
IndexWriter via multiple threads (at least back to 1.4 when I started
hacking on Lucene).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message