lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Resent] Document boosting based on .. semantics?
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:42:21 GMT

On Feb 20, 2008, at 2:51 AM, Markus Fischer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [Resent: guess I sent the first before I completed my subscription,
> just in case it comes up twice ...]
>
> the subject may be a bit weird but I couldn't find a better way to
> describe a problem I'm trying to solve.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, one factor of scoring is the distance of the
> word within the document and the length of the document. I'm titling
> my problem as the cauliflower-problem, but it's related to any "type
> of" problem.
>
> When searching for "cauliflower", I get x hits. Now documents in the
> top range (pos < 10) are most likely selected by the user.
> Unfortunately, although "cauliflower" is in the documents and it's
> word position is like around 3000 characters in the document, the
> document itself has nothing much to do with "cauliflower" or
> "vegetables" or "eating", etc.
>
> Unfortunately, the most relevant documents come much later in the
> index (pos >= 10) because the "cauliflower" word is positioned like
> around 5000 characters within the document.
>
> Based on the relation on the content, these later documents are much
> more appropriate to the search term, because the also deal with
> "vegetables" and "eating", etc.
>
> I'm stuck here how I can signal Lucene to boost those later
> documents, because frankly I don't know on what. I would probably
> have to tag the relation of the document (is-about vegetables, is-
> about eating) and also detect that the searched term is-a vegetable.
> This gets even more complex with non-single-term queries.

Well, this is a classic problem in IR.  The question is, how do you
know when a user types "cauliflower" that they really are interested
in "vegetables" and "eating" and not the other document?  There really
is nothing in that query, by itself, that gives you or Lucene that
information.   Your top hit has the term and has other factors, such
as document length etc. that make it the top result.  That is not to
say there is nothing you can do, just that it is hard and can be
brittle.

Some suggestions (and the use of cauliflower and vegetables, etc. is
figurative, not literal):
1. If you know cauliflower should be related to vegetables and eating,
add those as synonyms to your query terms.  This can be hard to
generalize.
2. If you have some user profile that suggests that user is interested
in vegetables/eating over other things, then you could incorporate that.
3. If you see that most of your users like the vegetable documents for
the query cauliflower by doing some log analysis, then you could use
popularity of the document as a factor in your scoring (see
FunctionQuery capability in Lucene)
4. You could try to do some fancy-schmancy reasoning using Wordnet,
hyper/hypo - nyms
5. You could use MoreLikeThis to allow the user to choose the
vegetable result and say "Give me more documents like this"
6. Last, but certainly not least, if you want the user to get a
certain document as #1 or #2, then make the document #1 or #2.  You
don't need search for this.  It's called editorial boosting.  Again,
hard to generalize, but sometimes you just need a document to be #1
and trying to tune the various knobs a search engine gives you is
going to break a whole lot of other things.

Also, what kind of queries are you using such that you get the first
3K characters in your query?  Are you using some type of SpanQuery or
are you just referring to the effects of length normalization?  You
might also try using a different Similarity implementation that
doesn't punish longer documents as much.

Finally, the explain() method may help you better understand the
factors that go into why your documents score the way they do.

> On a related topic, I'm also searching for a way to suggest
> alternate spelling of words to the user, when we found a word which
> is very less frequent used in the index or not in the index at all.
> I'm Austrian based, when I e.g. search for "retthich" (wrong spelled
> "rettich" which is radish), Google suggests me the proper spelled
> word. I'm searching for a way to figure how to accomplish this, but
> again this may be lucene off-topic and/or I should properly start a
> separate thread ...

Search the archives here for "Google suggest" or "suggestions", "ajax
suggestions", etc.  There are a couple of implementations out there
for Lucene/Solr I believe that use the TermEnum class to go and get
suggestions.  I believe there might even be some patches in JIRA.

> Has someone an advice how to approach this kind of problems? Is it
> appropriate/can it be solved with Lucene? Am I right here on this
> list anyway? :)
>
> thanks for any feedback,
> - Markus

Grant Ingersoll