lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: appending field to an existing index
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:16:06 GMT

I don't think this will do the right thing in this case, because
addIndexes "appends" the documents from all indices together.

Whereas John wants to "merge in" a new field into all docs in an
existing index.

Really what we need is a new "addParallellIndices" method.  I think,
conceptually, it's really not that hard to do ("it's just software"),
especially if the fields are completely orthogonal (which is the case
here, I think)?  We would need a variant of SegmentMerger, that
instead of appending everything, would "splice" the indices together,
doc by doc.  The posting lists should be especially simple since each
field is contiguous in the prx/frq files.

Mike