lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Faceting with payloads
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:14:00 GMT

9 feb 2008 kl. 00.53 skrev Matt Ronge:

> On Feb 8, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Karl Wettin wrote:
>

>> 6 feb 2008 kl. 23.10 skrev Matt Ronge:
>>
>>> I may index the token "house" maybe found in different places with
>>> different types. If the user query contains house, I want to
>>> report the number of instances of the token house of type A, type
>>> B and so on.
>>>
>>> Should I be using payloads for this? If so, I'd like to be able to
>>> count up all the instances of for each type. Then I can show the
>>> results, along with TypeA (100 hits), TypeB (1000 hits) so on.
>>
>> Pehaps, what do you do with these numbers you extract?
>
> I would like to display this to the user along with the search
> results. So then can see that there are 100 hits for TypeA, and then
> can specify to get results just of TypeA.

100 hits, does that explicitly mean 100 documents or could it be 4
documents with 25 payloads each?

> So on top of being able to count hits based on the payload, I'll
> need to run a query that looks at the payloads.

It is "not possible" to implement a query that search for payloads.

Are you aware of how facets usually are implemented with Lucene? There
is a lot about it in the mail archives and Solr does it out of the box.

You probably want a second field indexed with your type
classifications, and perhaps one field per type containing something
like size for sort/search/store.

    karl