lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Cedric Ho" <cedric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Lucene Directory
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:58:31 GMT
On Feb 1, 2008 9:47 AM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cedric Ho wrote:
> >
> > But managing such a set of indexes is not trivial. Especially when
> > need to add redundancies for reliability and update frequently.
> >
> Agreed. Apparently the Solr guys are working on this now. Certainly not
> trivial to do right. You might want to check out that work.

do you mean this? (SOLR-303) Distributed Search over HTTP. It seems
quite complicated and is not ready for use yet.
As for Solr, let's just say It provides a lot of great functionalities
that I don't need, and a lot of functionalities that I need is not
there. So I eventually stick with Lucene only.

> I want to start a project for this functionality myself soon - but just
> with Lucene. Personally, I think the only way to go is to use Jini, but
> I am waiting for the first release of Apache River before getting
> started (*very* soon I hope). That gets you through the 8 fallacies of
> distributed computing with almost no work right off the bat. Self
> discovery, leasing, redundancy, etc with minimal effort. Hopefully I
> will be able to recruit some help with this. From what I can tell, there
> is a lot of roll your own for this type of thing out there...it would be
> nice to focus some work on a system that can be used by all.

I don't know much about Jini. But I'd be willing to help if you need any. =)