lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inconsistent Search Speed
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:44:49 GMT
The first call loads various data structures into memory.  The second
takes advantage of those structures being in memory.  What you want to
do is "warm" the searcher by sending some queries to it before making
it available.

-Grant

On Feb 26, 2008, at 3:49 PM, fangz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using a simple java program to test the search speed. The index
> file is
> about 1.93G in size. I initiated an indexsearcher and built a query
> using
> the query parser: parser.parse("entity:fail"). The initial run took
> more
> than 60 seconds, but the subsequent runs only took 1.5 seconds. This
> does
> not change with or without calling indexsearcher.close(). As I know,
> Lucene
> does not cache results (no filter is involved). So what is causing
> such a
> big speed difference?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> fangz
> --

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com
Next Training: April 7, 2008 at ApacheCon Europe in Amsterdam

Lucene Helpful Hints: