lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrent Indexing + Searching
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:01:36 GMT

>  Again, if the
> indexerThreads are bombarding the writer continuously, then the moment, when
> no indexer is accessing the writer, may never come. Thus, I invested some of
> my time, and wrote my own code, to control the sleeping of indexerThreads.

I don't know how much of a concern this is. All you can really do is
juggle the capabilities of Lucene, and Lucene was not designed to allow
continuous writes to the database that are instantly available. That is
one of the compromises of doing full text search over db. If you reopen
the index in the face of constant write bombardment, it will already
need to be reopened again immediately, and so on. You still need to
consider the cost of reopening huge indexes...its not going to be fast
enough to keep up with this kind of bombardment. I think you have to
limit the use case.

I suppose you could refresh the readers occasionally in a long line of
Writer get/release bombardment, but Lucene is just not in a position to
handle such an interactive index, and I don't think it will be too
fruitful trying to force it. If you correctly batch load, this is not
that big of a limitation. Updates generally come in two ways...random
updates here and there or a batch of updates at once - neither of these
cases will cause bombardment.

- Mark