lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrent Indexing + Searching
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:23:03 GMT

ajay_garg wrote:
> Thanks Mark.
>
> Ok, I got your point. So it happens like this :
>
> a) If it is me, who is re-opening an IndxReader, at any time, but
> "manually-programmatically". That is, I don't want
> a-sort-of-automatic-reopening-of-IndexWriter, then I am fine.

Sure...your kind of doing what IndexAccessor does...choosing when to
reopen the views using some metric. Just follow Lucene access rules (no
writing ops with a Reader while another thread uses a Writer etc.) Also,
you want to share Searchers and Writers across threads.
> b) If I do wish this automatic-reopening of index (using IndexAccessor),
> then I am forced to rely on all the indexer threads releasing the reference
> to IndexWriter, which by the way, as a developer, can never be sure of (that
> is, I don't have any control, as to when exactly all the threads leave the
> reference ).

You have fairly decent control...its all running on the server. A client
would be making a call to the server, which would run the code. To
start, release in a finally block, and second, avoid any infinite loops
or what not, and you have a fair amount of control here. As long as your
computer can compute and make forward progress, even if any exception is
thrown, things will get released. One year plus at many sites and I have
never seen anything not get released unless the whole server went down,
in which case I cannot do anything anyway. Now if your constantly
bombarded with write operations that just never let up...sure - but your
still the code behind the curtain...you can write some code that looks
for such a bombardment. I think the control is pretty good. I guess the
point is that the client is not whats using IndexAccessor...its making a
request to the server which then uses IndexAccessor.