lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Lucene Directory
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:47:43 GMT

Cedric Ho wrote:

> But managing such a set of indexes is not trivial. Especially when
> need to add redundancies for reliability and update frequently.

Agreed. Apparently the Solr guys are working on this now. Certainly not
trivial to do right. You might want to check out that work.

I want to start a project for this functionality myself soon - but just
with Lucene. Personally, I think the only way to go is to use Jini, but
I am waiting for the first release of Apache River before getting
started (*very* soon I hope). That gets you through the 8 fallacies of
distributed computing with almost no work right off the bat. Self
discovery, leasing, redundancy, etc with minimal effort. Hopefully I
will be able to recruit some help with this. From what I can tell, there
is a lot of roll your own for this type of thing out there...it would be
nice to focus some work on a system that can be used by all.

- Mark