lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: remote stored index
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:17:41 GMT
RAMdirectories are transient, they go away when your program
ends. They are suitable for small indexes that are created
on the fly etc.

An index written to disk (i.e. an FSDIr) is just a set of files. You
can freely copy them anywhere you want. Assuming you have an
index phase where the index is created, once that is finished you
can put it wherever you want.

In a client server situation, you need to have some transport layer
to go back and forth. We've had good results with XmlRpc. The
idea is that a client packages up the request in an XML packet
and sends it via XmlRpc to the server. The server analyzes
the packet, performs the search, and packs up an XML response
for the client.

XmlRpc was *very* easy for us to set up and use.

Best
Erick