lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to get the programmatic control over index's document id
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:40:53 GMT
If you're referring to the internally-assigned document id, I don't think
there is a way. Assuming you're trying to assign one yourself or some
such.

>From all the discussions I've seen, I don't think there's even a faint
possibility that controlling this will be added to Lucene. Note that
existing IDs change as your index changes.

Why do you care? What problem are you trying to solve? One common
suggestion is to create your own field (as Patrick suggests) that contains
your own unique ID. Using TermEnum/TermDocs will give you efficient
ways of going from your unique ID to a docID...

Best
Erick