lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Juerg Meier <>
Subject Random selection of files
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:37:51 GMT

We have the requirement for an "i'm feeling lucky" button, at least sort of. Whereas google
just delivers the first record in a result set, we should deliver 10 arbitrary hits chosen
out of, let's say, 1000. All of these documents have the same importance i.e. have the same

So, is there an elegant way with the Lucene API to achieve this? Or do we need to retrieve
all 1000 docs first, to do a random selection on our own afterwards? That appears to be quite

Thanks for any hint,
-- Juerg