lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: When does QueryParser creates PhraseQueries
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:30:17 GMT
On Tuesday 26 February 2008 01:05:27 duiduder@web.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the behaviour that when I search with Luke (version 0.7.1, Lucene
> version 2.2.0) inside an arbritray field, the QueryParser creates a
> PhraseQuery when I type in
> ~              termA/termB      (no "...")
> When I read the documentation at the Lucene webside, I only find the syntax
> ~             "termA termB"
> for creating phrase queries.
>
> Did I make a mistake? Can I configure the QueryParser that he simply
> tokenizes between termA and termB, and makes a simple BooleanQuery as he do
> in the case of a whitespace delimiter?

You'll find they both go through getFieldQuery() as-is.  The default
implementation of that runs the string through the analyser; if it happens to
return more than one token then it will create a PhraseQuery instead of a
TermQuery.

If you subclass QueryParser than you can override this method and modify it to
do whatever evil trick you want to do.

Daniel