lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dragon Fly <dragon-fly...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Pagination ...
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:48:19 GMT

Thanks.

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:07:03 -0500
From: richmondmike@gmail.com
To: dragon-fly999@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Pagination ...
CC: java-user@lucene.apache.org

You might want to take a look at Solr (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/).  You could either
use Solr directly, or see how they implement paging.

--Mike

On Dec 26, 2007 12:12 PM, Zhou Qi <zhouqi.jackson@gmail.com> wrote:

Using the search function for pagination will carry out unnecessary index
search when you are going previous or next. Generally, most of the
information need (e.g 80%) can be satisfied by the first 100 documents

(20%). In lucene, the returing documents is set to 100 for the sake of
speed.

I am not quite sure my way of pagination is best: but it works fine under
test preasure: Just keep the first search result in cache and fetch the

snippet when the document is presented in current page.

2007/12/26, Dragon Fly <dragon-fly999@hotmail.com>:

> Any advice on this? Thanks.
>
> > From: dragon-fly999@hotmail.com
> > To: java-user@lucene.apache.org

> > Subject: Pagination ...
> > Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:19:30 -0500
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the most efficient way to do pagination in Lucene? I have always

> done the following because this "flavor" of the search call allows me to
> specify the top N hits ( e.g. 1000) and a Sort object:
> >
> >     TopFieldDocs topFieldDocs = searcher.search
(query, null, 1000,
> SORT_BY_DATE);
> >
> > Is it the best way? Thank you.

> > Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!

> > http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_wlhmtextlink1_dec

> Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live.
> http://www.windowslive.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_powerofwindows_122007

The best games are on Xbox 360.  Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360 Console.