lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Lucifer Hammer" <luce...@gmail.com>
Subject Searching on plurals and phrases in a single field
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:25:32 GMT
Hi,

We've got a requirement that we need to give our users  the ability to
search on exact phrases within a field, or, if they prefer, they can match
on plurals(either via stems, or another plural algorithm).  However, the
cases are mutually exclusive, for example given the following field in the

IndexField1: "The quick brown dog jumped over the lazy fox"

If the user chooses an exact phrase search such as "lazy dog jumped", then
it'll match, however, if they also choose an exact phrase  and search for:
"lazy dogs" it shouldn't match.

If the user chooses a plural search, then  both of the above searches should
match.

So... the question really is:  Can I do this all in one field, or will I
have to index the data twice, once in a field that has the exact text, and
in a second field in which I index the terms, and wordstack stems(or
plurals).

If it's possible to do this in a single field, that would be much
preferred...

Thanks for any help!
Lucifer