lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Giving boost to a more recent item whiule searching
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:56:25 GMT
Have a look at the FunctionQuery capabilities in Lucene, whereby you
can use the value of a Field as a scoring factor.  So, your
FunctionQuery would just do a simple calculation between the current
time and whatever date is in the document.

-Grant
On Dec 20, 2007, at 8:03 AM, prabin meitei wrote:

> Hi,
>  Looking into older threads and some googling i came across some codes
> where boosting is done at the time of indexing using time gap from
> 'epoch'
> or a *base time*. With this approach what I am afraid of is that
> over a
> period of time the boosting factor may go up and I may loose the
> relevence
> factor of other fields.
>    Any thoughts on this?
>
> Prabin
>
> On Dec 20, 2007 3:11 PM, Brian Grimal <brian@grimal.com> wrote:
>
>> I would love to revisit this one.  I implemented pseudo date
>> boosting in
>> an overly simplistic manner in my app, which I know can be improved
>> upon.
>> Might it be useful to reopen a thread on the topic?
>>
>> Brian

Grant Ingersoll
http://lucene.grantingersoll.com

Lucene Helpful Hints: