lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Refreshing RAMDirectory
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:51:27 GMT

Ruslan Sivak wrote:

> Michael McCandless wrote:
>>
>> Ruslan Sivak wrote:
>>> Since my app would be multithreaded, there could be multiple
>>> threads accessing the reader, while i'm reloading it.  This means
>>> that if I close the reader, and another thread is using it, it
>>> might get an exception.
>>
>> The normal approach here is open a new reader, start sending new
>> searches to the new reader, and only once all existing searches
>> (and, possibly, search sessions, if for example you want
>> paginating through results to not suddenly change on the user)
>> are done with the old reader do you close the old one.
>>
> How exactly would I do something like this?   I'm not sure where to
> start.  From what I understand, the reader will be auto closed when
> there are no more references to it.  What if I did somehting like this
>
> Private IndexReader reader;
>
> public IndexReader getReader()
> {
>   if (we are reloading)
>   {
>      Directory dir = new RAMDirectory (indexName);
>      reader = IndexReader.open(dir);
>   }
>   return reader;
> }
> public Results search(String searchTerms)
> {
>   IndexReader r=getReader()
>   //Do search and return results
> }
>
> This should work, right?  The local variable will hold a reference
> to a reader that it's using, and once it goes out of use, it should
> auto close, correct?  Is closing the reader even necessary?  Won't
> it just get collected by the GC once there are no more references
> to it?

Well you could keep a counter of how many searches are presently
using the previous reader, and then the final search to finish with
the previous reader would close it?

GC doesn't actually "close" the reader, though since you're using
RAMDirectory, you're not actually consuming any file descriptors so I
think it might be OK for you to never close and simply replace your
reader with the newly reopened one?  Normally this is not
recommended, ie, a reader against an FSDirectory uses up precious
file descriptors...

Mike