lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FieldSelector
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:21:36 GMT

On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Timo Nentwig wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 December 2007 12:20:51 Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Then, when you go to access those 4 fields, which you most certainly
>> will at some point soon, otherwise why did you get the document to
>
> Nope, I won't :)

I probably should have said you will access at least one of those 4
fields, otherwise why load the document.

> In fact my Document contain fields I only need for searching and
> sorting. But
> I never need to actually read them.

Yes, but is this the case for all Fields on the Document?  This is the
most often use case.  You have some fields for display, some for
searching and some for sorting.  If there all small, you really aren't
going to pay too much cost for getting them all, b/c they are next to
each other in the index, so you might as well load them.  If one or
more are really big, then it might make sense to lazily load just
those fields.  I don't see much value in loading all the fields
lazily, but it certainly is easy enough to do w/ the
SetBasedFieldSelector or a trivial implementation of FieldSelector
where the accept method returns Lazy no matter the input.

-Grant