lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jens Grivolla <j+luc...@grivolla.net>
Subject Re: Boost One Term Query
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 00:36:25 GMT
Erick Erickson wrote:
> I don't believe you can compare scores across queries in any meaningful
> way.

I actually investigated this to some degree in my thesis, comparing
different participating systems from the TREC campaigns.  It turns out
that some systems' scores (e.g. the top scores for a given query)
correlate quite well with the quality of the result (relevance of the
returned documents), whereas for others this is not at all the case.  I
don't think there was a Lucene-based system in there, though.

So in some cases comparing scores across queries can be used (to a
limited degree) as a confidence measure, an indicator of expected
usefulness of the results for the user.

Jens