lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From d33mb33 <david.bal...@entity.co.uk>
Subject Re: Post processing to get around TooManyClauses?
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:57:21 GMT

Erick Erickson wrote:

> Have you looked at Filters? Essentially, you construct a bitmap where each
> bit corresponds to a document and pass that along into your search.
> Constructing a filter is surprisingly speedy.

Thanks for the reply.. I'll take a look at filters.

So in my "Charles Dickens starting with m" use case, should I make a filter
for "Charles Dickens" and then do a prefix query on title passing "m"...?

i.e. rewrite the quick query as a filter so the prefix and wildcard queries
work against a smaller index.

Or have I got this the wrong way around :-S