lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Heads-up on SSD
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:59:09 GMT
There's an interesting article on state-of-the-art setup with Mtron
Solid State Drives at
http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/
The concise version is that Mtron flash drives puts all traditional
harddrives to shame and seems especially well suited for applications
that performs a lot of seeks. No surprise there, but read the article
for some eye-opening numbers.

At The State and University Library in Denmark we've experimented with
two Samsung SSDs vs. two 15.000 RPM traditional harddisks in RAID setup
with our current Lucene index at about 30GB and logged queries from our
users.

For searches we can confirm that the SSDs are substantially faster,
especially when the available amount of RAM for caching relative to the
index size is small. A teaser-graph can be viewed at
http://wiki.statsbiblioteket.dk/summa/Hardware

Our test should not be seen as authoritative or even even representative
for Lucene on SSDs in general, but it seems clear to us that users of
Lucene-systems ought to look into SSDs if they haven't already done so.