lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Lars Clausen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryError on small search in large, simple index
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:25:47 GMT

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:37 +0100, Lars Clausen wrote:
> I've now made trial runs with no norms on the two indexed fields, and
> also tried with varying TermIndexIntervals.  Omitting the norms saves
> about 4MB on 50 million entries, much less than I expected.

Seems there's a reason we still use all this memory:
SegmentReader.fakeNorms() creates the full-size array for us anyway, so
the memory usage cannot be avoided as long as somebody asks for the
norms array at any point.  The solution is starting to look like a patch
that allows the norms array to be null and handles uses of it
appropriately.  Some of the code seems to consider this legal, but
others do not.

-Lars