lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael McCandless" <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: can we do partial optimization?
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:51:25 GMT

The current trunk of Lucene (unreleased 2.3-dev) has a new method on
IndexWriter: optimize(int maxNumSegments).  This method should do what
you want: you tell it how many segments to optimize down to, and it
will try to pick the least cost merges to get the index to that
point.  It's very new (only committed a few days ago), plus the trunk
may have bugs, so tread carefully!

If that doesn't seem to do the right merges for your index, it's also
very simple to create your own MergePolicy.  You can subclass the
default LogByteSizeMergePolicy and override the
"findMergesForOptimize" method.  This feature (separate MergePolicy)
is also only available in 2.3-dev (trunk).

Mike