lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nizamul" <>
Subject can we do partial optimization?
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2007 08:48:34 GMT
I am very new to Lucene.I am facing one problem.
 I have one very large index which is constantly getting update(add and delete) at a regular
interval.after which I am optimizing the whole index (otherwise searches will be slow) but
optimization takes time.So I was thinking to merge only the segments of lesser size(I guess
it will be a good compromise between search time and optimization time) i.e. suppose I have
10 segment
1 of 10,000,000 doc
4 of 100,000 doc
4 of 10,000 doc
and 1 of 5 doc.

I want to merger 9 segment of lesser size  in to  one(I believe this would not take much time
and searching will improve a lot).But I don't know how to do partial merging.Whether Lucene
allow it or not?? or if I can extend indexWriter and add a method optimize of my own where
I can specify which cfs file to chose for optimization?

Thanks and Regards,