lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hardy Ferentschik" <ha...@ferentschik.de>
Subject RAMDirectory vs FSDirectory
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:55:22 GMT
Hi there,

I am using currently a FSDirectory to build my index. The reason for using
a file system based index is that a full index rebuild takes around 30
minutes and I want to keep a persistent index.
In 'Lucene in Action' I've read that one can improve search performance by
using a RAMDirectory created from an underlying FSDirectory using one of
the parameterised constructors. Is this correct? Will a FSDirectory not
automatically load the index into memory provided enough RAM is available?
Do I have to explicitly use a RAMDirectory?

--Hardy