lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hardy Ferentschik" <ha...@ferentschik.de>
Subject Re: substring indexing to avoid 'TooManyClauses' exception
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:25:38 GMT
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:12:26 +0100, Erick Erickson
<erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for your help.

> I'm certainly not an expert on ranking and scoring, but I've got to
> assume that this approach influences scoring.
No doubt. The question is if it matters for this particular use case. For
this particualt field I will ever only have a simple right hand truncated
search. The user cannot use span or phrase queries against this field, not
even explicit AND. I don't think this approach makes much sense when
indexing a whole block of text. I only want to use it for indexing a
simple name which at most consits of a few words. I guess what I want to
do here is comparable to a single column SQL LIKE query, eg SELECT FROM
COMPANY WHERE COMPANY.NAME LIKE 'M%'. Of course this is only the simple
case. There are other queries where I combine the name search with other
fields which are indexed using for example a SnowballAnalyzer.

> There are several approaches. There is a thread titled "I just don't
> understand wildcards at all" that has a bunch of information about
> wildcards, and searching the archive for "wildcards" will turn up a
> wealth of information.
Great. I will look into it.

Thanks again.

-- Hardy
--
Hartmut Ferentschik
Ekholmsv.339 ,1, 127 45 Skärholmen, Sweden