lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Score: Randomize form
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 01:17:40 GMT

: I think you have a couple of problems here. First, you'll have to
: normalize the scores to get *any* of them to be the same. Since
: the scores are a float, very few of them will be exactly the same.

it's not as rare as it seems, with lengthNorm byte encoding and low tf
values it can happen quite a bit -- with a custom Siilarity you can *make*
it happen a lot.

: >  I show the results of searches as two criterios of sorting ("priority"
: > and
: > to after "score") of each document.
: >  I need present the result with same score of ramdomize form.

based on the example you gave, it sounds like you don't really want to
sort on score at all ... you just want a randomized sort after sorting on
the priority field.

Solr has a "RandomSortField" which contains a "RandomSort" class that
don't think has any deep Solr dependencies ... it works by using the
"field name" arg as a seed for randomizing the order of results, so you
can iterate/paginate over a consistent "random" ordering as long as you keep
resuing hte same name ... pick a differnet name everytime (use a counter,
or a random number) and you'll get a different order.

you could use that as a secondary sort after your priority field (or a
tertiary sort after score)

-Hoss