lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Scoring for all the documents in the index relative to a query
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:03:51 GMT

: My simplistic view has been that all the docs returned via Hits
: or HitCollector have scores > 0, and all the rest have scores of 0,
: and this view is supported by the explanation of
: HitCollector.collect
:
: " Called once for every non-zero scoring document, with the
: document number and its score."

(Hmmm... i thought those javadocs had been fixed a while back?  oh well,
i just did: r596462)

Strictly speaking there's nothing to stop a document from having a zero or
negative *raw* score for a query (ie: a ValueSourceQuery for example) it's
just not common.

the HitCollector.collect method is called for every *matching* document,
with it's raw score.

(I'm not actually sure how the Hits class treats negative values ... odds
are no one using the Hits class is going to be dealing with a query that
can product negative scores though)

-Hoss