lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FieldSelector
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:28:12 GMT

On Nov 30, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Timo Nentwig wrote:

> On Friday 30 November 2007 12:59:13 Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Hmmm, I think you should be able to rely on the fact that Fields are
>> stored in order of indexing and then read back in that same order.
>
> Yeah, tought about that for a moment but this is just way to fragile.

I can understand your hesitation, but good documentation of what you
are doing and lots of comments should help :-)

>> Otherwise, the reading twice approach makes sense.
>
> Yes, it makes sense the question is whether it performs. The sense
> of a
> FieldSelector as I understand it is to save disk IO (ans maybe also
> save a
> couple of bytes RAM...).

I guess the question becomes what is the nature of your fields?  Do
you have some really large fields that you want to avoid loading b/c
they are not shown initially?  That is the main use case, I guess.

Have you actually done some profiling to see that you are hitting a
bottleneck?

I wouldn't recommend it, but if it was really important to you, you
could modify FieldsReader to be more intelligent about your fields,
but again this would be fragile, too.