lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chhabra, Kapil" <kchha...@akamai.com>
Subject RE: Lucene Setting
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:54:25 GMT
Liaqat,
What exactly are you looking for? Are you sure you want to build the
source of lucene and then use it? Alternatively you could simply use the
lucene jar file (ie. already built for you) and start playing around
with it. This jar file is bundled in the archive that you might have
downloaded. Look for lucene-core-2.2.0.jar

All the best

kapilChhabra

-----Original Message-----
From: Liaqat Ali [mailto:liaqatalimian@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 7:05 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Lucene Setting

I m new to lucene and want to clear about some questions.

When I unpacked the Lucene, which i downloaded from Apache site.

I ran the Build.txt file and there are five steps to set up lucene.

Lucene Build Instructions

$Id: BUILD.txt 476955 2006-11-19 22:28:41Z hossman $

Basic steps:
  0) Install JDK 1.4 (or greater), Ant 1.6.2 (or greater)

  1) Download Lucene from Apache and unpack it

  Step 2) Connect to the top-level of your Lucene installation

                            Lucene's top-level directory contains the
build.xml file. By default,
                            you do not need to change any of the
settings in this file, but you do
                            need to run ant from this location so it
knows where to find build.xml.

                            If you would like to change settings you can
do so by creating one
                            or more of the following files and placing
your own property settings
                            in there:

                            ~/lucene.build.properties
                            ~/build.properties
                                lucene-x.y/build.properties

                            The first property which is found in the
order with which the files are
                            loaded becomes the property setting which is
used by the Ant build
                            system.

                            NOTE: the ~ character represents your user
account home directory.

  3) Install JavaCC (optional)
  4) Run ant

I am not getting the 3rd instruction. Can you explain this line to me.

And one question more. is it necessary to build lucene using Ant or any
other tool. What is the purpose of this?