lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scoring for all the documents in the index relative to a query
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:32:47 GMT
Hi Sonia,

I agree with Erick here. Negative scores don't make sense and Lucene
never computes scores for documents that don't match a query.

E. g. if your query is: "term1 OR term2", then every document that
contains term1 or term2 or both will have a score greater than 0. But if
two docs don't contain either of the two terms, why should one of them
have a lower score than the other one? Both would have 0.

-Michael

HAIDUC SONIA wrote:
> I am trying to order all the documents in the index according to their similarity to
a given query. I am interested in having a complete list of *all* the documents in the index
with their score. From what I understood by reading some documentation, Lucene internally
assigns scores to all the documents in the index according to their similarity to the query,
but when returning the hits, all the scores that are less than 0 are rounded to 0 and only
the documents with the score > 0 are returned as hits. But what I would like to get is
the list before this intermediate processing, so the list of all the documents with their
raw score. I am trying to compare Lucene with LSI and for the comparison I want to do, I need
the entire list of documents. Is there a way that I can get that with Lucene?