lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time of processing hits.doc()
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:09:43 GMT
Hey Haroldo.

First thing you need to do is *stop* using Hits in your searches. Hits
is optimized for some pretty specific use cases and you will get along
much better by using a HitCollector.

Hits has three main functions:

It caches documents, normalizes scores, and stores ids associated with
scores (a HitDoc). If you attempt to retrieve a HitDoc past the first
100 from Hits, a new search will be issued to grab double the required
HitDocs needed to satisfy your HitDoc retrieval attempt. This will be
repeated everytime you ask for a HitDoc beyond the current cache (which
began at 100). This means that if you need to get a HitDoc beyond 100,
Hits is not a great choice for you. You will want to use the
HitCollector instead...but remember that you are losing the normalized
scores (simple to copy code if you still want it) and the document
caching (I rarely want that anyway).

An issue to watch out for: with Hits, you do not have to ask for how
many docs to get back, but with a HitCollector solution you will need
to. This is a minor dilema if you want to go over all of the hits no
matter what. You can pass a huge number to ensure you get everything,
but you will be creating large data structures if you do this, as
structure sizes may be initialized by the number you pass. Also, passing
the maximum integer will cause an error (negative init size) as Lucene
initializes a data structure to hold the hits as n+1.

- Mark