lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tricia Williams <pgwil...@uwaterloo.ca>
Subject Re: Payloads, Tokenizers, and Filters. Oh My!
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:00:02 GMT
Hi Grant,

    Thanks for your response!

    Taking a closer look at the TokenFilter(s) that causes my problem
with the Payload are all from org.apache.solr.analysis rather than
org.apache.lucene.analysis.  I had originally thought that all the
TokenFilters available through Solr's TokenFilterFactory(s) were part of
Lucene.  But I guess there are TokenFilters specific to Solr, such as
the WordDelimiterFilter, that aren't aware of Payloads.  Thanks for
saying exactly the right thing to make me realize that.
> I guess you just want to be careful about how big your payloads get.
    Erik Hatcher suggested storing the bulky XPath strings in a table of
contents field and just storing a smaller representation of the
information at each token with the intention of doing a lookup to get
the bulky stuff at query time.

> One of the original use cases for payloads was for doing XPath queries.

    Has anyone actually completed anything with XPath queries and Payloads?
> Also, the only thing experimental about Payloads is the actual
> signature of the methods, not the need for them.  If anything, I think
> you will see an expansion of payload capability in the future.  Also
> note, that you will probably be interested in adding more Payload
> querying capability.  And also note, I am in the process of adding the
> ability to get payloads from Spans, but I am not sure if this gets
> into 2.3 or not.

    I look forward to seeing more of Payloads!  I can already see how
they can be extremely useful.

Thanks,
Tricia