lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Cool Coder <techcool.ku...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to delete old index
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:05:26 GMT
>What do you mean by "you can see two index"?
  I can see two sets of lucene index files with same size and time stamp difference is 4 hrs.

  E.g. At start up , the lucence generated index file

  _8w.cfs (also some more files)  with size 4 MB and time stamp  November 24, 2007, 2:57:48
PM

  After 4 hr, it generated another set of files like _32.cfs(also some more files) with size
4MB and timestamp November 24, 2007, 6:59:48 PM.

  But at the sametime, old index files did not get deleted. I think that all old index files
should get deleted once new index is created and IndexReader is reopened.

  Can you tell me why this is not happening?

  - BR

Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
  "Cool Coder" wrote:
> Hi,
> I used have index refreshed in every 4 hr. However after each
> refresh, I can see two index. I am not sure how can I delete old

What do you mean by "you can see two index"?

> On starting of indexing process, I create Writer
> writer = new IndexWriter(luceneDirectory,false,luceneAnalyzer,true);

This is exactly right. That final true (which is the "create" arg) will
clear out the index.

> At the end of Indexing process:
> writer.flush();
> writer.close();

The writer.flush() isn't necessary: writer.close() will always flush.

> and reopen the indexreader
>
> luceneDirectory = FSDirectory.getDirectory(indexPath);
>
> reader = IndexReader.open(luceneDirectory);
> searcher = new IndexSearcher(reader);
> Is this the right way or I am missing something?
> Let me tell you that I dont want to update index rather I just want to
> delete the old index.
> Your help would be appreciated.

This looks right to me!

Mike