lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From KR <Keith.Rhodes....@siemens.com>
Subject Re: Create and populate a field when indexing
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:43:09 GMT

Erick Erickson wrote:

> Sure, just define it in the same scope as you want to refer to it.
> Of course, that tells you nothing <G>...
>
> Java variables go out of scope when the last '}' *at the same level*
> is passed. For intance:
>
> {
>    string s1;
>    {
>       string s2;
>    } // s2 is out of scope after this line.
>    // s1 is still available
> }
> //s1 no longer available.
>
> So just define your category string "at the appropriate place" outside the
> if statement and it will be available *after* the if. You may need to move
> it outside the enclosing braces. Or outside the enclosing braces
> outside the enclosing braces (as many levels as your braces are
> nested that you want to refer to that variable).

Thanks, I understand that better now... (I hope).

It looks like the best way to do this would be to extract the filename from
the path  just after the code snippet below:

 public static Document Document(File f)
       throws IOException, InterruptedException  {
    // make a new, empty document
    Document doc = new Document();

    // Add the url as a field named "path".  Use a field that is
    // indexed (i.e. searchable), but don't tokenize the field into words.
    doc.add(new Field("path", f.getPath().replace(dirSep, '/'),
Field.Store.YES,
        Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED));

This way the filename is available for all the subsequent if {} blocks.

Keith.