lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "lucene user" <luz...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene Queries Over User-Editable Dynamic Categories of Documents
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 06:18:10 GMT
Folks!

We are building a web-based multi-user system. Users of our system are able
to categorize items that they have found into groups of related documents.
We would like users to be able to search these document groups and rapidly
find matches. Each user might have ten of these categories and might have
perhaps a few hundred documents in each. These categories might be highly
dynamic, with users adding and deleting documents from these categories many
times a day. How might we use Lucene to perform searches limited to these
very dynamic and end-user editable categories? Any ideas for how we might do
this efficiently?

If all the data were in a SQL database, we could run a subquery that
returned the IDs of the items in categories and use that to limit the
results of the super query.

Currently we do not plan to maintain the information about the end-user's
categories in the Lucene index at all, or not in a big, main Lucene index
anyway.

What our the reasonable options for handling this? What are the performance
implications of various choices?

Thanks!