lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [ADMIN] - Spam problems?
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 23:35:45 GMT

: Around Sept. 20 I started getting Japanese spam to this account. This is
: a special  account I only use for the Solr and Lucene user mailing
: lists. Did anybody else get these, starting around 9/20?

Note that many mailing list archives leave the sender emails in plain text
(which results in easy harvesting by spam bots).  even the archives that
strip or obfuscate email addresses in headers frequently do nothing baout
email addrs in the body of hte message.  ie: when someone replies to a
post and their mail client does something like...

>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Norskog, Lance <foo@localhost.local> wrote:

or...

>> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:50:34 -0400
>> From: "Norskog, Lance" <foo@localhost.local>

one solution is to configure your spam filter to automatically reject mail
where you address is in a recepient header (as opposed to the list
addresses) .... the trade off being you'll never see private replies
replies, but hey: this is open source, everything should be discussed in
the open :)

-Hoss