lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject contrib/benchmark Parallel tasks ?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:42:01 GMT
Hi,

I am using the contrib/benchmarker to do some performance tests.  I
have a 4 core machine, so I would like to test using 4 threads for
indexing.  From the docs at http://lucene.zones.apache.org:8080/
hudson/job/Lucene-Nightly/javadoc/org/apache/lucene/benchmark/byTask/
package-summary.html

I then want to modify the conf/standard.alg file to be just indexing,
and to do that in a multithreaded way.

I believe this means, I should change:
{ "MAddDocs" AddDoc } : 20000

to be:
[ "MAddDocs" AddDoc ] : 20000 : 4

right?

I guess I am confused a bit by the rate factor documentation in the
docs given by the URL above, for instance, it says:
"Example - [ AddDoc ] : 400 : 3 - would do 400 addDoc in parallel,
starting up to 3 threads per second. "

but, I think I want instead: start up 4 threads, and then have each
split up the indexing of 20,000 documents.  Thus, each thread would
index 5K docs.

Am I expressing this correctly?  Something doesn't quite feel right
about this.

Thanks,
Grant

Grant Ingersoll