lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "emilien beucler" <emilienbeuc...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Is Lucene relevant for big amount of small dynamic data?
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:50:22 GMT

Thank you for this quick answer. Of course a relational database is the most
immediate answer, but there are two problems:

- I am not sure that performances would be great when potentially each
criteria can be used/combined for searches. I am not an expert of databases
but I guess you have to choose the indexes you will want to use, so a few
kinds of searches will be performant, others will not, right? What seemed
interesting in Lucène is that it is said to be performant for all kinds of
searches.

- With this model I cannot add criteria "on the fly". Let's say I want a new
criterion: "olympic games Beijing 2008" That will apply to some of the
hotels, for a certain time range. With Lucène I guess I could enrich the
documents with the new criterion before adding them to the index. With a
database, I can only reserve a fixed number of columns for that, or have
more complex queries (without indexing). Do you see what I mean?

Thanks again,

Emilien