lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "pp1907@yahoo.com" <pp1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Custom Search algorithm integration
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:51:33 GMT
Yes, image field is binary. However, image size is not more than 1KB. We would use a combination
of text search to narrow down the results. But once we get the results, we would want to search
all images (within the above resultset) with the user given image file.

  Ideally, your 2nd approach - of scoring/matching within Lucene is what we were looking for.
Rather, we already have the capability to match & score if 2 images are provided. It would
be best if we could integrate our Java API within Lucene search/score.

  Lucene allows to store binary value as a field. However, am not sure (as we are new to Lucene)
how we can tell Lucene to use our API to search/match for the binary/image field.

  would be good to hear your thoughts.thank you

  cheers
  Prakash

Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
    I presume that the image field is a binary field, right?

I can think of a couple of things that _may_ work for you:

1. You create a dummy token on the "image" field, and then store the
image data as a payload on that token. Then you can use the payload
mechanism to score the field by overriding the scorePayload (I think
that's the name) method in the Similarity class. You may have to
implement a new Query for this similar to BoostingTermQuery (but
maybe not)

2. You could implement scoring of binary fields in Lucene. I've had
in my mind that a binary field is the same as a payload, more or
less, so it seems like it would be relatively easy to create a query
mechanism for it, just not sure of the loading part of it at this
time (but that should be easy enough to figure out)

I don't know how the performance of either of these approaches would
be. If you have large images, it could be a significant overhead.
The other option, of course, is to do postprocessing on the results
by first narrowing down on the text fields and then scoring the images.

-Grant