lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dino Korah" <dcko...@gmail.com>
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:39:01 GMT
Hi All,

I have a scenario where there are two processes (2 JVMs) accessing the same
index. One of them is doing the indexing as documents arrive into the system
and the second one servers search queries. Both the processes are running on
the same machine.

Is there a need to do some kind of locking. Does the writer process need to
know about the reader, for optimal performance of the query server? Using a
RAMDirectory<http://lucene.zones.apache.org:8080/hudson/job/Lucene-Nightly/javadoc/org/apache/lucene/store/RAMDirectory.html>for
adding documents and then merging it into the main index periodically;
would that help in improving the query performance in any way, provided the
Searcher is kept open for a long period of time, with reload at intervals.

I remember reading a thread of discussion on IndexAccessor. I would like to
know what would be the advantage in using IndexAccessor.

Many thanks.

Dino

--
d i n o    k o r a h